Monday, January 19, 2009

Mo' Music



Art Brut: "Moving to L.A.", "Fight" (Bang Bang Rock & Roll)
No other rock band in the last five years has attacked their music with such humor and passion. "Moving to L.A." is the sunny side of Art Brut, a cheerful sing-a-long about moving to LA from dreary England to drink Hennessy with Morrissey. "Fight" is the tongue-in-cheek drunken, hooligan side, about getting drink and picking fights for the fun of it. They're coming out with a new album in 2009, Art Brut vs. Satan, which I will be sure to pick up.

Talking Heads: "Happy Day" (Talking Heads: 77)
This is one of the first albums that I loved. I used to listen to it on vinyl when I was six or seven years old and, much to my mother's horror, scream out the lyrics to "Psycho Kiler." This is a sweet song by the New York art punks.

Desmond Dekker: "Live and Learn" (Anthology 1963-1999)
Desmond Dekker was the first reggae crossover sensation, before Bob Marley ever came on the scene. He was especially influential in England, where bands like The Clash took notice of him.

Dirty on Purpose: "No Radio" (Hallelujah Sirens)
Sadly this band has broken up after recording only this one album, which I strongly recommend.

Black Sheep: "Similak Child" (A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing)
Black Sheep have been overlooked when discussing great early-90s rap groups. This album should be ranked as high as anything by A Tribe Called Quest and De La Soul. According to Urban Dictionary, a "similak child" is "A girl that was raised on artificial breast milk and thus received optimum nutrients and a bad ass booty. "

Elliott Smith: "Waltz #2" (XO)
One of the greatest geniuses of pop music. There is nothing more heartbreaking than an Elliott Smith song.

Billy Bragg & Wilco: "Hesitating Beauty" (Mermaid Avenue)
This is a great album of unrecorded Woody Guthrie covers. Recommended for fans of Wilco, Guthrie, or good music.

PJ Harvey: "This Is Love" (Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea)
"I can't believe life's so complex
When I just wanna' sit here and watch you undress"
Makes sense.

Mass Hysteria: "Donnez-vous la peine" (Le bien-être et la paix)
I picked this up in Paris. This is from commenter Elvis on the French amazon.com:
Quel claque ! Ce disque est un des meilleurs du genre. Les compos et les textes s'adressent vraiment aux jeunes comme moi. Enfin un groupe qui me ressemble.
Euromotion: "Don't Tell Me Your Name" (Euromotion Is Coming)
I heard this song randomly; my friend's girlfriend left a mix in his car that included this. Fucking hilarious song. "The time window Otto! Hurry!"

Sway: "Up Your Speed" (This Is My Demo)
This guy has a ridiculous flow. Great British rap anthem.

My Morning Jacket: "I'm Amazed" (Evil Urges)
I'm amazed at how damn good MMJ is. I don't care what anyone says. I like their new stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment