Saturday, January 24, 2009

Odds and Ends After a Long Week


This past week has been far too long for my own good. I have the shittiest Fridays known to man, in which I am constantly running around, don't get lunch until 2:30 and don't get home until 10:30 in the PM. Yes that is a horrible Friday. Now enough with my bitching. Here is a look at the things I've been wanting to post but just haven't had the time for.

1. Three Instrumental Tracks that nearly blew my mind this one time...
Maybe I was just in a particular state of mind, but I was bugging out, doing work in the library while listening to these songs:

The J.B.'s
: "My Brother (Parts 1 & 2)" (Funky Good Times)
James Brown's backing band is all kinds of funky.

The Hives: "A Stroll Through Hive Manor Corridors" (The Black and White Album)
Yes, The Hives aren't particularly hip anymore, but I've always been a fan. This is my least favorite of their albums, but this instrumental is enjoyable.

Yo La Tengo: "Spec Bebop" (I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One)
This is like really good Sonic Youth, only I can actually listen to it. "Wait did he say what I..." "Slander!" "No let him speak!"

2. A couple of rap songs for the halibut

Jurassic 5: "Monkey Bars" (Quality Control)
Jurassic 5 do not get nearly enough love. You hear me, nearly! "This one is particularly good for the youngsters..."

Wu-Tang Clan: "Da Mystery of Chessboxin'"
Goddamn is this a good Wu-Tang song. I've had this stuck in my head all day. Just wanted to shout out "Raw I'm gonna give it to ya with no trivia. Raw like cocaine straight from Bolivia!"



3. America! Fuck yeah!
Oh Obama, you da Bama! Oh and also, the Rev. Joseph Lowery is officially the man. A tip of the hat to you, sir, for your rhyming ability.
Here are a couple songs for the occasion, curtesy of other blogs. You can easily scour the internet for them:

Chango Malo: "A Change Is Gonna Come"
Wow. This is one of the best covers I have ever heard. Totally passionate. They made this their own song.

Jay-Z: "My President Is Black (Remix)"
This song was written for Hova. It just never sounded quite as credible to me coming from Young Jeezy. "No more war. No more Iraq. No more white lies. The president is black!"

4. The Superbowl is next week...Everyone excited? (whimper)
Well as a sports fan, I am actually looking forward to this and will be rooting for the Cardinals. However, isn't this the same matchup we just saw in the World Series? Team from Pennsylvania versus Team that Nobody ever Imagined Making it this far. And it doesn't help that the Cardinals have about five fans not named Will Leitch. With the economy and all, this Super Bowl might have the lowest ratings in a long time.

As long as we're talking about Superbowls here, Buffalo '66 is a great movie which I highly recommend you watching before betting your life's savings on Brenda... I mean Kurt Warner winning a second Super Bowl. Vincent Gallo is both incredibly narcissistic and self-loathing at the same time, which is sometimes hard to watch, but he has some genius in him, all of which he put into this film. And he does a great job playing himself. Also, Mickey Rourke plays The Bookie. I had the impression from "the media" that Rourke had completely dropped out of film at some point in the '80s, not to return until his glorious comeback in The Wrestler. The truth is that he has actually been in at least one movie every year since 1979 (except 2007). Either way, he gives one of the best performances I have ever seen in The Wrestler. Also, the Bruce Springsteen song from the movie (also called "The Wrestler") is must-hear material.

5. The Cubs have a new owner
Named Tom Ricketts. The guy is a fan who met his wife in the Bleachers. You can find women in the Bleachers? This was the best possibility since Cuban has been indicted. Hopefully, Ricketts will make it his first order of business to trade for Jake Peavy already.

6. This article nearly made me cry
Yes, I am an unabashed Sports Guy fan. He forgoes most of his (yes, occassionally tedious) Karate Kid and Teen Wolf references here and just puts together a really well-written article on an emotional topic for him. Worth the read.

7. I installed a Stat Counter for the site
You can see it on the bottom of the screen. This thing is mad cool. It tells me that some guy in Ukraine got to the blog by looking for Lampchop pictures on Google Image. Guy from Ukraine, you were looking for the other kind of lamb chop, weren't you? (My God, that looks delicious.) It also tells me that I got my first real link on another blog. Mad props to Blair at Certain Songs for adding me to his A List. It is also somewhat humbling. If you are bothering to read any of this, then you are probably one of the few, as most of the people seem to have stumbled on this blog quite unexpectedly and decide right away that they're in the wrong place. This blog is basically for myself. Yes, I try to make it somewhat entertaining, but I haven't told any of my friends/family about the blog and don't plan to advertise it all that much. It's here. If you like it then I'm glad. I don't know where I'm going with this. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment