Sunday, January 11, 2009

Playlist of the Fortnight: It's Going to Be a Good Year

Nas: "Get Down (Quantic Soul Orchestra Mix)"
The original here is off of God's Son. A fairly unheralded Nas single, still better than just about anything else out there. Quantic Soul Orchestra add the funk.

Jay-Z ft. Nas: "Success" (American Gangster Bonus Tracks)
This track alone is worth paying for the expanded album.

Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band: "Express Yourself (Alt. Take)" (Puckey Puckey: Jams and Outtakes, 1970-1971)
This is a raw version of the classic. Pure passion.

Wild Billy Childish and the Musicians of the British Empire: "He's Making a Tape" (Thatcher's Children)
A great little rock & roll ditty. Made by the man with that mustache.

Bob and Earl: "Harlem Shuffle"
The original, later covered by Booker T. & The MG's, as well as the Rolling Stones. You also might recognize the beginning from "Jump Around." This is how music should sound.

Wu Tang Clan w/ Isaac Hayes: "I Can't Go to Sleep" (The W)
Proving that Isaac Hayes should definitively be forgiven for all Scientology-related transgressions. He just has an out-of-this-world voice. Check out the video, courtesy of my favorite new procrastination tool, MTV's video database.


Muja Messiah ft. I-Self Devine: "Patriot Act" (Thee Adventures of a B-Boy D-Boy)
Found this on one of my favorite blogs, Minneapolis Fucking Rocks, in their section on the best Minneapolis music in the last year. Who knew there was such good hip-hop in Minnesota? Hell, I didn't know there were any black people up there. Anyway, nice job Minneapolis.

The Strange Boys- "Drugs Iggy Drugs"
I can tell you very little about this group except that they're from Austin, Texas and that the song is amazingly as good as its title.

Belle & Sebastian: "Pocketbook Angel"
Basically the best pop song ever. Hopefully someday they'll release a non-scratchy version of this. Although, the imperfection does add some charm to it.

Of Montreal: "St. Exquisite's Confessions" (Skeletal Lamping)
Of Montreal are gleefully strange and I like that. "I'm so sick of sucking the dick of this cruel cruel city..."

Santogold: "Shove It" (Santogold)
"We think you're a joke/Shove your hope where it don't shine" Is Santogold telling Obama to shove it? Either way this is a killer pop song.

Apples in Stereo: "Same Old Drag" (New Magnetic Wonder Bonus Tracks)
Another song from an album that I bought in its original form (minus the bonus). This is the best song on the album. Why do you torture me like this Apples in Stereo?

Soko: "I'll Kill Her" (Not Sokute)
Sorry Soko, but you're fucking adorable. And how could anyone break this poor French girl's heart. That's like killing a puppy dog. This song reminds me of Be Your Own Pet's "Becky" (in my Best of '08 list. The only difference is that "Becky" makes me genuinely frightened, whereas "I'll Kill Her" just makes me want to comfort Soko, pauvre chèrie.

Lil Wayne ft. Pharrell: "Yes"
We're only two weeks into 2009 and already we have a killer (and I mean killer) anthem. Go find this song right now if you haven't heard it already. This makes me want to go out in my car with the stereo at full blast and my windows down. And I know its 20 degrees out.

Incredible Bongo Band: "Apache" (Bongo Rock)
The so-called National Anthem of Hip Hop, sampled by everyone from DJ Kool Herc to the Sugarhill Gang to the Roots and Nas. It's a goddamn great song on its own too.

Notorious B.I.G. (Ratatat Remix): "Party and Bullshit" (Remixes Vol. II)
It's taken me a while to get into Ratatat, but I have to admit, this is a genius remix.

The Kooks: "All That She Wants" (Radio 1 Established 1967)
This is a cover of the Ace of Base song, yeah the Swedish technopop group. But the Kooks manage to make it totally badass.


The Virgins
: "Love Is Colder Than Death" (The Virgins)
If I was going to revise my '08 list, this one would make it. A truly classic-sounding pop song.

The Walkmen: "In the New Year" (You & Me)
With more music like this, yes it will be a good year!

1 comment: